Thursday 19 November 2009

SharePoint - Knock Three Times

I used to look forward to Fridays, but that is different this week after my rear-end (well, my car's rear end) has been bumped three times in recent weeks. At least it isn't Friday 13th tomorrow (which is considered unlucky in the UK), it was last Friday though when I was banged from behind for the third Friday in four weeks. Ok the middle one was me reversing into my Office Talk colleague, Frank Fauld's car. But not all bad things come in threes and in this week's blog I am going to show you a classic SharePoint 1-2-3.

1. Windows SharePoint Services (WSS)
Why are people always wary of things that are free of charge? Like the fluffy rabbits advertised in the local shop window or the newspaper given away outside the tube station by the man in the raincoat. People almost seem to think that because they don't have to pay anything for it then it can't be any good. But the excellent Windows SharePoint Services is available completely 'free' as a download for anyone who has Windows Server 2003, or Server 2008. Yet I read last week a statistic that less than 30% of companies with Windows server have downloaded WSS 3. I wonder how many percent of drivers have had three bumps in four weeks after none in twenty years?

If you are one of the 70% who haven't downloaded WSS then don't be embarrassed just click the link below to get it downloaded now and it won't cost you a penny.

Free SharePoint

2. SharePoint Designer
Again it is a freebie that is well worth downloading. With SharePoint Designer you can create Master Pages, create Workflow, add CSS and link webparts together. It does a lot more than you expect and lets you really customise your SharePoint. If you want to download SharePoint Designer now is your chance.

Free SharePoint Designer

3. SharePoint Projectbreak (created by me)
There are many add-ons available for WSS (or MOSS) and these are often usually priced for the smaller budget. The Site Template 'Projectbreak', which enables Consultants, Designers, Developers and Architects to easily manage all of their Chargeable Customer Project work, costs under £80. Projectbreak can be used to record all Project work from the planning stage to the final chasing for payment.

Click here to find out about Projectbreak

So that is my SharePoint 1-2-3 and I hope you find them useful. For the football fans reading I would I also have a Youtube football 1-2-3. If you haven't seen the Dragan Stojkovic goal yet it is probably one of the best goals ever.

1. Manager Stojkovic scores

2. Thierry Henry's

3. Wayne Rooney Skip Shot

Perhaps I should keep the car in the garage tomorrow.

No comments: